Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage is an Assignment in Mass Effect. Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage is about Saren's cure for the genophage and what to do with it. Assignments are secondary quests in Mass Effect, that are not mandatory to progress the game's story, but provide context and flavor by meeting interesting NPCs of all kind of Races, granting additional experience, and letting the player visit extraordinary and unique planets.
Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage Walkthrough
At the Salarian camp, you learn about what Saren has been doing recently. He appears to have discovered a cure for the Genophage and intends to breed an army of Krogan. The Genophage was a biological weapon deployed against the Krogan by the Turians during the Krogan Rebellions. Basically, its purpose was to infect the Krogan with a genetic mutation lowering considerably the Race probability of viable pregnancies.
Urdnot Wrex, learns that Captain Kirrahe is willing to destroy the cure. This infuriates the Krogan. The Salarian asks you to solve the situation with your teammate before continuing the plan to assault Saren's base.
You can find Urdnot Wrex blasting his shotgun in anger at the beach. Once you get near enough, the conversation will begin. There are a lot of outcomes for this conversation:
- You can signal Ashley to shoot Wrex. She shoots the Krogan, on Commander Shepard's orders, this earns you Renegade points and is only available if you asked Ashley to be ready.
- You can Shoot Wrex personally: You kill Wrex personally earning Renegade points. Kaidan Alenko asks you about why it was necessary to do it. You can earn Paragon points by being regretful or Renegade points by being dismissive.
- Protecting Commander Shepard. If you spend too long talking to Wrex and don't seem to be making any progress, Ashley decides on her own to shoot the Krogan. You can be grateful to her, earning Renegade points or furious about her decision, awarding you Paragon points.
- Use Charm or Intimidate. You manage to persuade Wrex stating that destroying the facility is in the best interest of the Krogan. Urdnot Wrex states you have a point because Saren will use the Krogan as puppets and is decided to punish Saren for his actions. You need 8 points in Charm or Intimidate for this to work.
- Trusting Commander Shepard. If you already completed Wrex: Family Armor, the Krogan trusts you enough to listen, and it becomes much easier to calm without resorting to the Charm or Intimidate options. You must take the lines "I wouldn't do this otherwise" or "We are" when they become available to make Wrex stand down.
- If you have only four party members (Kaidan Alenko, Ashley Williams, Tali'Zorah nar Rayya and Urdnot Wrex). Wrex submits to the choice of destroying the base. Don't recruit Garrus Vakarian nor Liara T'Soni, by rejecting Garrus and by going to Virmire after completing Feros and Noveria, respectively.
How to unlock Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage
- You obtain Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage after reaching the Salarian camp during Virmire: Saren's Plan if Urdnot Wrex is available as a squadmate.
Enemies found on Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage
Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage Rewards
Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage Notes & Tips
- Notes & tips go here
- You will receive the Charismatic achievement by keeping Wrex alive. You don't have to use Charm or Intimidate, just having him alive works fine.